Birmingham Brummies v Edinburgh Monarchs

REPORT Sunday 28th September 2008, 10:00pm

by Mike Hunter

With a 41-point lead we were always bankers to take the trophy, but the team wanted to do it in style for the big travelling support.

That they did, ripping in to the Brummies right from the off and building up a 12-point lead by heat 7. The closest things got was after a Birmingham 5-1 in heat 12, when the excellent Jason Lyons helped young Ben Taylor home for a 5-1 and we were only 5 points up.

Ryan Fisher was our strong man with perhaps his best display yet for us ? he gated in every heat except one and never put a foot wrong, though he did lose heat 9 to a brilliant outside pass on the final bend to that consummate speedway artist Lyons.

Ryan gained his revenge over the home captain in another brilliant final heat.

The signs were good right from the start when William swept round the first corner and went past Craig Watson down the back straight as if he was standing still. Derek got in to third after Piszcz had gone wide on the first turn, and we had taken an advantage against a strong opening pair.

Aaron Summers had also been struggling over the weekend but with Matthew leading heat 2, Aaron weaved his way past the opposition to set up a comfortable 5-1.

Andrew Tully made a great effort in heat 3, leading Lyons for a couple of laps and withstanding one dive by Jason, though eventually he did get through.

Ryan headed Craig Watson in heat 4 and with Aaron third, we were 8 up and only needed finishers to win the Trophy. Obviously, we were now looking for the win as well.

William and Derek outgated Jason Lyons in heat 5 and Derek held off Jason for long enough for William to get clear and win fairly easily. Derek was just too cautious on the final lap and was caught by Birkinshaw.

There was a domino first corner in heat 6 as Fisher and Piszcz contested the inside line. Everyone moved out and it was Matthew Wethers and the very unlucky James Birkinshaw who took the worst of it. Birko sadly was off to hospital in the ambulance while Matthew managed to battle on.

Fisher won again in the rerun and we took a 4-2. Keeping the pressure on, it was Fisher as r/r in heat 7 and another 4-2 as he held off Watson. The score was now 15-27 and obviously a TR had to be coming.

Piszcz got the job in heat 8 and won easily, but we took the minor placings.

Heat 9 was the first classic with Fisher leading all the way and holding off everything Lyons could throw at him, until Jason squeezed by on the outside round the last corner.

Piszcz won heat 10 and Watson heat 11 as the Brummie heat leaders showed their mettle, but they didn?t have the backup with Birko out of the match.

Until heat 12 that is! Suddenly Ben Taylor made a start, and Jason Lyons slotted in behind him as they got the better of Matthew and Andrew, looking a bit weary after their weekend knocks. So the score was now 35-40 with a tough heat 13 coming up.

Watson led but this time Fisher showed superb passing ability with a brilliant third corner dive, and with William in third we virtually wrapped things up.

There was still time for a fine team ride from fast gating Aaron (really!) and the unselfish Andrew Tully who sat inside him.

And a great match finished with a great race, this time Fisher holding on by inches to pip Lyons. All great entertainment followed by a well conducted presentation, a memorable night.